Saturday, 16 January 2016

Revisiting Children's Books

My good friend Sunny over at A Splash of Ink tagged me (months ago, whoops) in a tag that she made up! This tag is wonderful in it's simplicity and open-endedness, for it has only one question:

What books did you read as a child?


Well, to start off, we have:
~The Chronicles of Narnia. Which I didn't read so much as I had them read to me. Dad read them all to me and my brother at least once.
~Anne of Green Gables. Only the first one, though. It was the only one I had.
~Little House in the Big Woods. Again, this is the only book in the series that I owned, and thus, the only one I read.
~Door in the Dragon's Throat. The only Cooper Kids Adventures series book that I owned, BUT I also devoured many of the other books in the series, courtesy of my church library.
~No Coins, Please. I loved this book; I thought it was HILARIOUS.
~Eye of Fortune, and many many other books in the Knights of the Silver Dragon series.
~Shadow of His Hand, a story based on the life of Holocaust survivor Anita Dittman (but told in a child-appropriate way. Though idk how intense it would have been otherwise).
~Mystery of the Invisible Knight. Another hilarious one. I laugh to this day. XD
~The Wilderness Mystery. The only Too Smart Jones book I had, soooo . . . (anyone care to take a guess)? Yep! The only one I read.
~Heidi. Had to read it for school, and loved it ever since.
~The Swiss Family Robinson. Same story as above. X)
~Andrea Carter and the Dangerous Decision. Gotta love the wild wild west.
~The Last Dance. I may have read this when I was a little older, like 14, but that's still kid-like, right? Anyway, it was creepy.
~Choice Stories for Children. A variety of short stories. Another read-for-school-then-read-a-lot book.



We had many Nancy Drew books, as you can see, but I'm pretty sure I only read the ones that are standing up in front, there. I found the books really creepy for some reason, so I only read a few of them. I was easily scared back then, apparently. Wait, who am I kidding? I'm easily scared NOW.


We have several more Wayne Thomas Batson and Bryan Davis books now, but these are the ones I read as a kid. We actually have 8 of Davis's INSANE 12-book Dragons in Our Midst series. Well, technically, it's three separate quadrilogies, but they all connect! And they're all so deep and complex and just--!! I can't even deal. XD Also, if our Door Within trilogy is looking a little beaten, it's because we've all read them several times.


Dragons. Need I say more? These fantasy books were AWESOME; to me at least. I also have the trilogy that came out after, technically separate, but still in the same universe.


ONCE UPON A TIME there was a chain of Christian books stores called Mitchell Family Books, which has since folded. We don't remember how or why, but somehow we got the first book of the Abby series (Well technically I think it's called the South Seas Adventure series, or something) for free from this store, which we frequented. WAIT! It was a kids' reading contest. How many books can you read during the summer, top contenders get to pick from a selection of book prizes. Or something.
Well anyway, I got this book, and I adored it, and wanted all of them. It took a little while, but eventually, I got all 8, including one which was mysteriously out of print (Either number 6 or 7. Thanks to my dad for getting me all of them!). And . . . yeah! Loved these books.

Then of course, there was the library, where I would often get:

-The Amazing days of Abby Hayes
-Geronimo Stilton. Half the time you felt bad for him, the rest of the time you wanted him to just let loose and have fun.
-Junie B Jones
-The Magic Treehouse
-A-Z Mysteries
-The Bailey School Kids
-Robert Munsch books
-Doctor Seuss books
-Fairy books of any kind
-Horse books of any kind
-Princess books of any kind
-Books telling kids how to take care of different pets, because I wanted a pet SO BADLY.
-These weird, funny graphic novels called Asterix that started in the 60's and have pretty much been running ever since.
-The Midnight Library, horror stories for kids. To this DAY I am scarred by the story Man's Best Friend from the collection Blood and Sand.
-The Baker Street Irregulars. Sherlock Holmes stories from the viewpoint of the street urchins he hires? Yes please. I was never able to find all of the books at the library, though (#librarystruggles). I reallly want to read them over again, and also read the ones I never found. And, y'know . . . I am an adult with my own money . . . . .  *sneaks off to Amazon.com*

Speaking of Sherlock, this doesn't really fit in with the "read it as a kid" theme, but it IS a book, and I'm very excited that I got it for Christmas. And I ordered that necklace myself and it just came recently and I LOVE IT! It's a key that says 221B on it, in case you can't see from the picture. X)


Thanks again to Sunny for tagging me! This was a lot of fun! *Throws the tag at all y'all* Do it do it do it! :D

12 comments:

  1. I read a lot of these as a kid,I think I was always reading something. The Chronicles of Narnia were everything to me, I constantly searched for Narnia.
    You had great taste, I'm not sure the same could be said for my kid self. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking closets to Narnia was the best thing. XD And haha, my taste was mostly influenced by what books my parents bought for me. XD

      Delete
  2. YOU DID IT!!!! Thanks!

    I read SO many of the same books that you read. A few of them you definitely recommended, including that No Coins Please book:P Ah, good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, np! <3

      LOL did I? I can't recall. XD

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! I read a lot of these when I was a kid, too. Geronimo Stilton was my childhood! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it! If you want to. XD Ah, Geronimo. Poor guy. XD

      Delete
  4. The Baker Street Irregulars sounds interesting! I recently heard the title. . . somewhere.

    I think I went through obsessions as a kid. First it was Little House; I think that's what really got me into books. And then Anne of Green Gables, but I never finished the whole series because one of my friends got me into Emily of New Moon by the same author. Then there was Nancy Drew. In there somewhere was The Cooper Kids, and when I got a little older The Forbidden Doors by Bill Meyers.

    I was easily scared too. I had quit one Nancy Drew (seriously the only thing was some gorilla face appeared in a window in the middle of the night and for some reason that really freaked me out). I'd also quit a Cooper Kid book (tut, tut). But while I was reading another Cooper Kid (I think it was the Island one), I decided I had to get over the whole letting books scare me thing, so I finished it, and all of the Cooper Kids. I won't say I can't get scared though because I had to stay up all night to finish a Forbidden Doors book because there was no way I was going to sleep until I knew what was really going on. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! I wish I'd been able to read all four. XD

      I think I remember that gorilla face one! That's one of the ones I read. I think "The 99 Steps" was the one that creeped me out the most, for some reason. XD I didn't read ALL the Cooper Kids, and the only one I really remember was my favorite one, about poisonous slugs? The yellow ones will kill you, the green ones won't? I don't know why that one was my favorite, but it was. XD

      Delete
  5. I've heard of very few of these. All I can really say is ANNE, NARNIA and LITTLE HOUSE!

    You should pick up Anne again! The first book is probably my favourite but it's totally worth reading the rest!

    I read one or two Nancy Drews but was largely unimpressed.

    I totally empathise with the "and I only read this one" thing! I used to gaily read series out of order, like just pick a book up in the library and be like "yeah this looks good" without considering that it was actually book 4 or something XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, our selection was a little...odd. X)

      Possibly, possibly. I always felt bad for the way she treated Gilbert. Like, he called you a carrottop, get over it. XD I know she does eventually, but still.... X)

      Hahaha, I would always try to get the books in order, because I hated not knowing what they were talking about at any given point. Which could make the library a frustrating place, because they didn't always have the whole series. XD

      Delete
  6. Great selection of books! Sadly, I've only read few of them. But I've heard of a lot of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to devour books at an alarming pace when I was younger. Weekly trips to the library were the BEST. So I was able to gobble up books from many different series and authors; well-known and otherwise. XD

      Delete