Friday, 31 July 2015

Beautiful People - July Edition

If you haven't heard of the Beautiful People linkup, head on over to Paper Fury to check it out!

This month's questions have a sort of summery theme. I'm going to choose to talk about my second main character, Kat, because I hardly mention her ever, and these questions are more suited to her.

I do believe this is from a Final Fantasy game. X) Also, I've used a different picture previously, but I like this one better.
I suppose I should give you some quick background on her, yes? Well, Kat is one of the star performers at the Grand Oriole Theater, one of only three theaters in the floating elven kingdom of Caelum. No one goes in or out of the city, so Kat has very little escape from theater life, which is run by her mother, who controls the theater with an iron fist and fake sincerity. Thank goodness for my other MC and the events of the story, amiright? XD

1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
Hmm, I'm not sure that they have ice cream in elf land, but any dessert-y thing Cook whips up, Kat will love, but only if her mother doesn't catch her!
*insert Kat mimicking her mother's voice*
"All that sugar is terrible for your skin, dear. An actress of your caliber must maintain a healthful glow. And what if you gain weight? Ooohh, to lose your stunning figure would be a crime." Thanks mom. You really know how to give your daughter a complex.

2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
Well, she lives at the theater, so she's not going there. X) She's probably going out to the schmanciest restaurant in the city, or to some ostentatious ball. If the restaurant, she's probably wearing something like this:


and if it's a ball, she's probably wearing something like this:

but with perhaps a fuller skirt.

Either way, she's not headed there willingly. Every social engagement is a grating chore.

3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
Bare feet or flexible, strappy sandals! Heels are a necessary evil when needing to appear taller, statelier, or occasionally sexier, and she has her mother to thank for that (again).

4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
You know, I've never decided for sure, but I imagine that she has a small scar or two from getting into anything and everything when she was younger. If she could climb it and it was higher than her mother's reach, Kat would go up it.

5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
Though she'd never admit it, Kat secretly enjoys the stirring orchestral pieces used during their plays and performances. They make her long for something, anything, to happen to her in her real life that's half as exciting as the things she acts out on stage.

6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
Her singing voice is pretty, but with strength behind it. She's a soprano, and can hit those beautiful, high, clear notes. Just another talent her mother can use to sell tickets.

7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Maybe something romantic, or humorous, or historical. She might read an epic high fantasy, except she lives in one.

8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
Summer is actually peak theater time! But for the days when she's not acting, she's wandering the beautiful parks, forests, and hills of their magical city, totally, blissfully alone.

9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
A Saturday matinee is the busiest performance of all! Kat is either rushing around and being rushed around to get ready, acting on the stage, or slumping into her dressing room chair.

10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
Her mother and the theater! lol the only question I actually had a ready answer to, whoops! My character development is often....lacking. It's something I'll fix in edits, if I ever get there. XD

~*~*~*~*~*~

Welp, there you have it! In these questions, her mother comes off as an absolute terror, which...I guess she is, but I'm not sure. Someday I'll have to edit some humanity into her. Except she's an elf, so...elfmanity? Elfity. Elveninity. Elfinness. Elfinnity.

But back to Kat. For some reason, I enjoy writing male character much more than female characters. They just come more naturally to me, which is odd, since I'M female, and you'd think it'd be easier to "write what you know." I don't know. I just have difficulty writing women that aren't hair-pullingly annoying and shallow. So if Kat comes off as flat or two-dimensional......she probably is. XD

8 comments:

  1. I like this! I would've never thought of the elves having actresses, but why not? That's so cool!

    Yeah, her mother does sound rather horrific. . . especially controlling. She reminds me just a touch of Cora from Once Upon a Time. Except perhaps not so- deadly.

    I do like Kat. She sounds interesting. I hope she gets to life the life she wants to live and not the one her mother wants for her. Why does she listen to her mother? Why does she feel tied down to the theater? Is she too young to go off on her own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! It was so long ago, I can't even remember how I came up with it. XD

      Yeahhhh, I mayyyy have made her a bit TOO intense. XD I just wanted her and Kat to butt heads a lot, and to make sure Kat would jump at the chance to leave when it presented itself. And LOL yes, I don't think her mother (Lillian, I suppose I should mention) would kill anybody.......probably. XD

      Thank you! She will, don't worry (whoops, spoilers, lol). And....ummmm..... *runs away from the logical questions* Haha I don't think I have any satisfactory answers (yet!). The basic idea that I have right now is 1. she listens bc she really has very little choice, 2. she feels tied down bc it's all she's every known 3. she's old enough to leave, but she doesn't have anywhere to go, or the resources to go, either. XD haha I'll have to work on the WHY of everything. ;D

      Delete
  2. I love that you're still working on this story:) I think the world is fabulous!

    I like the dress pictures and the general tomboyishness of this character. I'm interested to see how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "still working" is an overstatement. I just haven't moved on yet, that's all. XD But thank you very much!! ^.^ <3

      Right? I really love that blue dress. X) And HA. HAHA. "Comes together." Yeah, I'm so sure. XD

      Delete
  3. Elves fabulous elves. Kat seems cool, and I feel a bit bad for her. I think her mother just wants what is best for her.
    "Heels are a man's invention to make girl's butts look bigger, and make it harder for them to runaway."
    :D
    Sorry I just thought of that, I always seem to quote 'She's the Man' at the oddest times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE ELVES!!! *cough* Uh I mean...yeah, elves are cool. Whatever. XD Yeah, Kat's a little trapped at the moment, but she'll have an adventure in 3...2...1... *MC bursts in* Ah, there we go. X)

      LOL! that movie. XD I think heels actually WERE a man's invention though. To elevate the noblemen out of the muck on the streets, and to elevate butchers out of the guck on their floors. I'm not sure who used it first, but then everyone started to use them. And then they fell out of fashion for men, but women continued to wear them. And here we are today. X)

      Delete
  4. Awesome! So, tell me, what kind of elves are they? Tolkien-y? Or more Elves and the Shoemaker?

    Presumably because I've not been following for all that long, this is the first I've heard of your book. Can you tell me the very basic premise?

    PS "She would read epic fantasy, except she lives in one" <-- basically my answer to this question, too! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely more Tolkien-y. Most of my characters are elves, actually. I don't even know if I have any humans....XD

      Oh sure! Basically, the elves have been living in a giant city that floats in the sky for the last like 500 years to escape a war they were in with the other races. Now they're all terrified to go "Beneath." Buuuut, the king was poisoned and my MMC was framed, so my MMC has to go Beneath, and ends up dragging my FMC (Kat) along for REASONS, and....it's just a whole ordeal. XD There's like two main villains, and a couple of secondary villains, and some really eclectic secondary characters, and science-y magic! lol idk. X)

      Haha! Fantasy world problems. XD

      Delete