Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Summer Camp Writing Prompt #2

Time for Ashely's second writing prompt! You can check out my story for the first prompt here.

This prompt expires on June 19th, so there's still time to sign up! :D The prompt is this:


My first thought was romance. You know, exes running into each other and pretending to ignore the other person's existence. Or something like that. But I'm no good at writing romance, and so I went with my second thought. Enjoy!

~*~*~*~
A rustle of fabric told Amelia that someone had taken the seat opposite her. A breach of propriety; they should have asked for permission first.

“What fine weather we’re having. Don’t you think, madam?” asked a male voice.

Amelia raised her eyes from the book she wasn’t really reading to acknowledge the gentleman. “Yes, though perhaps a bit cold for June.” 

Not true, she was already sweltering in the stuffy heat of the train car. Even the lighter fabric of her afternoon summer dress could not stop sweat from gathering under her corset. She took in the man’s tailored travelling suit. Stylish, but too heavy for this weather.

The man returned her scrutiny. “Perhaps, but it makes one appreciate the warmer weather when it comes ‘round.”

Amelia nodded and crossed her right leg over her left one. The gentleman did the same. He opened a newspaper and held it up. Amelia turned her eyes back down to her book.

“Is it not ludicrous,” the gentleman murmured from behind his paper, “What they make us do? All these precautions?”

“Mmm.” Amelia didn’t look up, “It is for the best, as I believe you know. I trust you have the codes?”

“Straight to business, then? Very well. Do pay close attention.”

Amelia shushed him. A tense pause ensued, in which they both pretended to be very absorbed in their respective reading materials while the conductor passed them by.

The gentleman flicked his eyes over the rest of the train car before returning them to his paper. “The first code is 7-8-6-2. You’ll need that for the safe. The strongbox inside has a special locking mechanism that requires both a code and a key. The code is 2-5-7-0. The key you’ll have to get on your own. I trust you can handle that?”

Amelia committed the numbers to memory with the ease that comes with constant practice, casually turning a page in her book.  She felt the train slow down underneath her. “Yes, we know where it is. The rest is easy.”

“Careful, madam. Nothing is easy. I would hate for you to become another victim of our line of work.” The train came to a jolting halt. “It was nice doing business with you. Our organizations should cooperate more often, I think.”

Amelia closed her book and looked up. The gentleman was gone, his paper still on the seat. She had not caught his name, but that was just as well. It was safer for both of them that they each remain anonymous. It was safer that they parted as they had met; merely strangers on a train.

~*~*~*~
And there you have it! In case it wasn't clear (I'm never sure if my writing actually conveys what I'm thinking), they were spies in like the 1890s, or some such time. XD These prompts are really fun, and I think you aaalllll should join! ^.^ 

12 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! Spies are the best! And your writing was clear, no worries there. I love how she's like, "who dares sit beside me and invades my solitude without permission?" XD I am so like that. . . Then he wants to chat and she's just wants to get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks! And oh good, I'm glad that it was understandable. For the "propriety" stuff, I was trying to guess at what was considered appropriate behavior back then, mostly drawing from my knowledge of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. XD Ha! Me too, though. I'm like, "Please....go away. I just want to read/listen to music/not talk to you." XD

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I am so impressed at how you can take a writing prompt and make it entirely unique- your stories are always so creative! Loved it. :)
    -Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much!! ^.^ I have a lot of fun doing it, which is what writing should be all about, right? :D Will you be joining the prompt? Or have you joined already, and I've just missed it? X)

      Delete
    2. I am totally thinking about joining! It looks like good fun. I do have an idea, and I hope it works out! :)

      Delete
    3. I'm sure it will! I'm looking forward to reading it! :D

      Delete
  3. These are so fun! I saw this prompt earlier too and my brain is whirling, but I'm not sure if I can top that excellent little exchange. I love little vignettes like that.

    As always, super entertaining and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWW THANKS SUNNY!! ^.^ <3 Lol of COURSE you can top it! I can't wait to read yours!!! :D

      Delete
  4. That was so good, love your writing style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're really fun to do! :D

      Delete
  5. I loved how it starts out looking like the typical "I-detest-your-presence" start of a romance, and then turns on its head and shows itself to be a historical spy thing. ^_^ Awesome combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't know that it was set in like the 1890's until she was suddenly wearing a dress and corset. Then I was like, "Hmm, ok! Better make the dialogue a bit more old-fashioned." And that was that. X)

      Delete