Friday, 17 April 2015

O is for Once Upon a Time


If you haven't heard about Once Upon a Time, you may have had your head stuck in the sand. Starting in 2011, it continues today on the ABC network.


What this show basically does is take every grimm/disney fairytale and CHANGE THEM ALL, COMBINE THEM ALL, AND FREAKING BLOW YOUR MIND TO SMITHEREENS WITH IT'S CLEVER AND SHOCKING AWESOMENESS!! It will rock your fairytale-loving world. And you'll love to hate the villains. Actually, you'll hate two of the villains, and LOOOOVE the other ones. XD

Fair warning, tho. Half the story of each episode is told in flashbacks, which is fine at first, until they start jumping around. Like, take Snow's storyline for example. If "A" was her birth and "Z" is the present day, the flashbacks may start at "X", go to "Y", then go to "P", "Q", "F", "S", "T", "J", "E", etc etc etc. And they don't tell you WHEN on the timeline you are, you just have to puzzle it out based on the character's age, situation, and relationships with other characters. Have they met that person yet? Do they hate so-and-so yet? Has that other guy helped that other girl yet? My one friend somehow manages to keep it all in her head, but I'm not that good at remembering things, so as I watch  the show, I make constant updates to a timeline and character relationships list I created. XD

If you like fairytale retellings, super-duper clever storytelling, and character development/backgrounds that'll make your head spin, you'll love this show!!



Available on Canadian Netflix: Yes

ALSO!!!!! I haven't yet finished season 3 of the show, if you're up-to-date, don't spoil things for me in the comments! X) hehe pls.

Also also: Rumbelle is life. My other OTP. My TTP? Two True Pairs? Or TOILET TOILET PAPER!

10 comments:

  1. ONCE UPON A TIIIIME. ONE OF MY OTHER FAVORITES. Fairytales and crossover are two of my most favoritest thing ever so OF COURSE I fell in love with this show. THE CHARACTERS. THE SETTING. THE PLOTS. IT'S PERFECTION!!!!

    It's insane how confusing it can get though! But I kind of love it. XD My mom, brother, and I all watch it together and with almost every episode we put our brains together to work out what timeline we're in, who knows who, all that stuff. Since we all seem to remember different parts, it works out well! And now we've started it over with my little sister who has like a perfect memory, so she helps keeps us straight even though we've already seen them. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I love how you all work together to keep things straight. XD We watched the first season and part of the second as a family, but idk....we just fell away to other shows. So then later, once I heard people talking about how awesome season 3 was, I found it on Netflix and started rewatching it for myself. X)

      Delete
  2. Haha! Great Minds think alike! (I did a post on OUAT for my A to Z challenge today though it was far from as good as yours. Mine is just a strange fangirling filled rambling thing...LOL Anyways. LOVE your post :) OUAT is my fav for the fact that you have to piece things together on your own. It's kinda my favourite and keeps me engaged in the show...

    Plus, the characters are amazing (I'm a Captain Hook Fangirl :P ) I just love everything about this show!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol when I'm a huge fan of something, it can be hard to put my thoughts in enough order to actually get them to the page in any sort of readable way, so I know where you're coming from. XD And the puzzling backstory elements are cool, and can make for some great plot twists. I just have to write it all down so my might-as-well-be-OCD brain can stop worrying about remembering everything, and can actually ENJOY watching the show. XD

      Also, I sorta ship CaptainSwan. I ship it more as I see more of them. X) But Captain Hook is just a gloriously beautiful man. Most men in this show are, actually. XD HA! Not to objectify them, or anything...... ;)

      Delete
  3. My BFF got me into OUAT and I luuuurv it. It's so clever! :) The characters are fantastic, and I absolutely adore Rumbelle and CaptainSwan and another one I won't spoil for you here . . . I have yet to see S4, though all the pics and gifs and Tumblr posts I've seen of it makes it look freaking amazing and it makes me sad that it's not on Netflix yet. *pouts* My favorite characters are definitely Henry, Emma, Belle, and Rumplestiltskin (even though I can never spell his name on the first try). I also love trying to figure out if I should be hating Regina, loving her, or feeling sorry for her. Sometimes I do all three at once. She's a great, conflicted character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! At some points, I'm like, "NOOO Regina!! You were so close to being a good guy!!!" and at some points I feel really sorry for her, and then other times I'm like, "No, she needs to die." XD Gotta love deep, involving characters!! And I KNOWW! I want season 4 to come to Netflix soon! Even though I haven't finished season 3 yet. X) Also, Rumpelstiltskin (couldn't get it on the first try, either), Pan, Emma, and Henry are my faves. I also ship Prince Charming and Snow White together (of course), aaaand OH OH OH I KNOW THIS ONE!! Outlaw Queen!! Lol I haven't got there yet, but I know it's coming. XD

      Delete
  4. Love this show to bits, and I will watch it till the end no matter how crazy it gets. Rumpelstiltskin is awesome, I named my cat after him :) I love Rumbelle they make my cynical heart actually think love might exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I know aaaallll about naming pets after characters (my cat's name is Sherlock). AAAHHHHH I LOVE RUMBELLE HEHE, and yes, they are an inspiration. XD

      Delete
  5. I've only seen the first season, but I still think it's interesting to catch up on how they portray the fairy tales every now and again. Thanks for reminding me to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no problem! Good luck remembering all the backstory. XD

      Delete