Monday, 6 April 2015

E is for....

Ok, I swear to you, I'm only going to do this three times during this year's A-Z Blogging Challenge. Now, and also for 'P' and 'W'.


I CANNOT CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO SHOWS:

















Which one do I want to tell you about? Which one do I want to plug more? They are so different and yet each SO AWESOME!! But these posts have to be short (apparently), so I'll be brief.

E is for Elementary! (2012-present) Available on Canadian Netflix: No
I'll be honest: I thought I was going to hate this show. Holmes, living in NEW YORK instead of London? No 221b Baker Street? Watson is a WOMAN?? Not that I have anything against women (I am one) or against Lucy Liu (she's epic), but people...: Watson is a man. That is a very clear fact. And I planned on burning down the writers/producers/directors houses if there was ever even a SNIFF of romance between Holmes and "Joan" Watson (lets be honest, there's still the potential danger of that, so that's still my plan).

HOWEVER!

I actually really, really love this show. It's so clever and well-done. The characters are AMAZING. The stories are impeccably intriguing. There's shocking plot twists and suspense, but also humor and lightheartedness, and of course, there's Holmes and Watson, solving mysteries! And she's a really smart Watson, too, none of this bumbling-idiot-sidekick stuff. She kicks butt. If you like anything Sherlock-Holmes-y, there's a great chance you'll like this show!



E is for Eureka! (2006-2012) Available on Canadian Netflix: No
This show is FUN. It's cute and quirky and funny and silly but also heartwarming and involving and intriguing and smart and also sometimes suspenseful or even a little sad. It's a sci-fi show about a regular guy acting as sheriff in a secret town full of super-duper-geniuses and never-before-heard-of, not-to-be-released-to-the-public technology. And while the mostly-main character (usually the main character, but sometimes it focuses on other people) is part of law enforcement, it's not a procedural crime show. But it's not about aliens, either. It's "let's put people on Titan, let's accidentally launch a cold-war era nuclear missile, let's swap bodies, let's chase rogue nanobots, let's YELL AT FARGO FOR PUSHING ANOTHER BUTTON FARGO WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT YOU KNOW EVERYTHING HERE IS DANGEROUS!!!" If you want a smile and a good time, watch this show! :)


6 comments:

  1. I love Elementary too! And much like you I wasn't sure I would, but I love that the characters are smart but and so very flawed. There's a real depth to the storytelling and the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's really good! Flawed characters are the best characters. :)

      Delete
  2. My husband doesn't like Eureka as much as I do. I tend to save it to binge watch on the rare occasion that I get sick. Haven't watched Elementary yet, though we are fans of all thinks Holmes...
    ~AJ Lauer
    an A-Z Cohost
    @ayjaylauer on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're Holmes fans, then yes, I think you'll like Elementary! Modern-day and fresh, and not at all horrible like I expected. XD

      Woooot!! A fellow Eureka fan! :D Have you seen the whole show before, or is each sickness an opportunity to see brand-new (to you) episodes? :)

      Delete
  3. Wait, I haven't seen this version of Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *GASP* you must! It may take an episode or two to get used to, but once you've come to grips with the fact that Holmes is in NY with "Joan", you'll love it. ;)

      Delete