Wednesday, 1 April 2015

A-Z April Challenge: A is for the Addams Family

Welcome, friends and strangers! This month I will be participating in the A-Z April Blogging Challenge. Attempting to, at any rate.

While this is technically a bookish blog, my peers and I agreed that it's my blog, I can do whatever I want. So this month, I shall be blogging about tv shows!! Yay! :D Because, people: I watch a lot of tv.

Let's jump in and start with the Addams Family!


The original, of course.

Running from 1964-1966, this "kooky" little show is one of my faves (although I'm sure I'll say that about most of the shows I'll mention this month).

Gomez (John Astin, father of Sean Astin, who is Sam from Lord of the Rings) and Morticia could not be more in love if you cast a spell over them (maybe someone already has, who knows?).
They adore each other and their two children, Pugsley and Wednesday. They're also forever unfazed by Uncle Fester, Grandmama, Lurch, or any of the weird relations that we hear about but never see (like the six-armed person Morticia is always knitting sweaters for).

These people are really backwards, to our way of thinking, and it's hilarious to see "normal" people come into their spooky old mansion and FREAK OUT over things like:
The pet cat, Kitty. And by cat I mean lion
A bear rug that roars when you step on it
Lurch (Ted Cassidy, who stood at 6'9), the giant, somewhat grumpy butler that will take your hat and crush it
Thing, the disembodied yet somehow sassy helping hand ("thank you, Thing!")
Plants that may try to kill you
Weird paraphernalia, like a petrified turtle and a swordfish that ate somebody
Uncle Fester and Grandmama throwing knives at each other
Tea that bubbles over with black fog and melts spoons
People using instruments of torture to relax
Kids that play with headless dolls and explosives


For some COMPLETELY UNKNOWN reason, visitors seem to feel that their lives are in danger whenever they enter the mansion, despite the fact that Gomez and Morticia are the most unflappably considerate hosts to ever host a funeral--er, party.

Basically, it's a really fun, cute show, and it even spawned a couple of movies in the 90's. If you want a silly show to relax to, and don't mind watching things in black-and-white, I would recommend watching it! ^.^


Available on Canadian Netflix: No

12 comments:

  1. What a fun show that was. It was in after-school reruns by the time I found it, but I bet I watched every episode. Along with Gilligan's Island and Star Trek.

    Thanks for the smiles. Happy A to Z!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen a few episodes of Gilligan's Island, but I sing the theme song all the time! And I looooove Star Trek! The original, TNG, and the new movies. X)

      Thanks for dropping by! :D

      Delete
  2. I love the Addams family theme song. I think we all could use our own theme song. I used to watch this show when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! Life would be so much more fun if we had soundtracks to accompany us. And it would be easier to avoid an attack or accident that way, because you'd hear the ominous music! :O :D

      Delete
  3. I adore the Adams Family. People are always like I'm looking for my Prince Charming. I would always respond by singing, "One day my Gomez will come." Like Disney's Snow White. Good luck from an A to Z blog hoping friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gomez is a complete gentleman, and so totally enamored with his wife. Its hard to see how anyone could NOT want a Gomez! X)

      Delete
  4. That is such a great idea! This should be fun to follow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! :D I hope you enjoy, and I hope I can stick it out to the end. X)

      Delete
  5. I looooooove this show. And I really enjoyed The Addams Family Musical when I went to go see it with my sister! :D I think my favorite thing I've ever read about it, though, went something like this: Morticia and Gomez are like, the perfect couple. They're always supportive of their children, they're kind, they donate huge amounts of money, they constantly express their love to one another, and they never hide that love for their family or each other. And if they're supposed to be weird... what does that say about us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think I've seen that thing, too! ^.^ Ahh, Gomez and Morticia. X) And a musical? Awesome! I've never seen that, but I have seen one of the movies from the 90's. It was ok, but not as good as the original. ;)

      Delete
  6. Loved this show as a kid too.

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete