Friday, 9 January 2015

Beautiful People: The Authors!



Well, my fellow word artists. It's that time once again! Time for BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!! WOOHOOO!

*ahem*

If you don't know, Beautiful People is a writerly linkup by the fabulous Cait, previously of the Notebook Sisters, now of Paper Fury, and Sky at Further Up and Further In. Basically, you answer the questions of the month and add the url of your post to the linky! SO FUN!! :D Here's the link to this month's questions!

10928109_595959117172101_1450331761_n

This month, the questions are aimed at us, the authors! HOW FRIGHTFULLY EXCITING!



1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
I've been writing since I was ... mmmmmmmm ... 4. But, as I have yet to finish a first draft (I'm easily distracted, whoops), I still don't really consider myself a "writer."

2. How/why did you start writing?
Oh goodness, it was so long ago .... One day as a little tyke, I just wrote (and illustrated lol) a 4-page (two were pictures) story entirely in crayon, and that was that. I've never really stopped. Not for very long, anyway.

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?
*gasp* What a hard question!! Hmm ... plotting. I don't mean planning, like outlining or whatnot, but PLOTTING. This scene connects to this one, and this person could be this, and OMG WHAT IF THIS PERSON DID THAT AND THEN THAT'S WHY SUCH AND SUCH HAPPENS OMG IT ALL CONNECTS AHAHAHA I AM A GENIUS. Figuring out backstory and secrets that connects with whatever web of deceit I've weaved and have it all make sense is just the best feeling. XD

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?
Everything else. You name it, I struggle with it. Flat characters, weak or no subplots, making things too easy for the characters, no description, figuring out the ending, having driving motives for the characters, ACTUALLY WRITING THE BOOK. I'm a mess. XD

5. Do you write best at night or day?
Day, I guess. Though I haven't really tried writing at night too much ... maybe I should. ;)

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)
My laptop in my room! The lighting is bad at night, which is when I took this pic. Aaand it was taken with my crappy ipod camera. BUT let me describe what you're seeing:



On the table, my laptop, as well as pens and pencils and scrap paper on the corner of the table. Above the table, (one of my) calendars, writing advice and questions, as well as a picture bought from the marvelous Mirriam Neal, and a watercolor painting I made once. On the bookshelf: my books. Obviously. Well, some of them. It's not a very big bookshelf. On top of the bookshelf is my writing idea binder (that big pink one in the corner), empty notebooks, some school folders, and various misc., including candles, two Jars of Good Things, more pencils pens etc., and my own version of the three stooges:



Left to right; Jeff, Steve, Fred. Jeff officiated Fred's wedding once! No, he wasn't marrying Steve. He married Sally, but we killed her (aka threw her in the garbage. What? They're just pipe cleaner and feather!). Jeff is a good guy, very responsible and nice. Steve is a troublemaker. Fred is constantly having an identity crisis. Wait, what were we talking about before?

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?
Technically just one, though there's one co-authored work that's always lurking. 

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
Never quite got there, but I've always planned happy, satisfying endings.

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm what? Idk man.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
Only Sunny, we've basically always sent our WIPs back and forth to each other. Sometimes my brother, he's surprisingly supportive. I don't like showing other people because they might a) not "get" it, b) be criticizing/condescending, c)look at me funny, OR, if it's my parents, I just cringe from the thought of them being any of those things listed above, or even worse, be ooey-gooey-goopy supportive. You know that voice adults use to compliment a three-year-old on their crayon scribble art? That. That's the voice I don't want to hear used on me. Because it has been used before, and I hate it. I feel babied and patronized, even though they're legitimately proud and supportive. And I DON'T FREAKING WANT ADVICE, OK?! I'M THE ONE WHO'S SPENT HOURS POURING OVER WRITING BLOGS FULL OF PROFESSIONAL WRITING ADVICE! I'VE SPENT YEARS OF MY LIFE DEVOURING BOOKS! JUST STOP. 

*cough* Or something along those lines. 

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?
Finish a freaming (more intense than "freaking," less than "fricking,") draft, edit it up all fabulous, get it published! Of course I always daydream about some famous director...producer...person... wanting to turn it into a movie (picture the stereotype of a girl pretending to accept an award or the Miss America crown, and you'll be close), but that's so hilarious it's not even funny. 

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
The other things that I already do when I'm not writing! That is to say ... nothing I could make a living out of. XD

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?
I think so ... but I don't remember what it is right now .... If I think of it, I'll edit it in. X)

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?
That I've read, or written? Because I don't have an answer for either. LOL sorry to be boring. XD

AND that's about it, folks! I feel like I didn't have as many answers as I should have. Or at least, not as many fun or exciting answers. :/ Oh well. Maybe I'll do better next month! ^.^ Thanks, Cait and Sky, for this always enthralling linkup!

22 comments:

  1. XD More than anything, I love your enthusiasm! I feel you on the sharing of writing, because that's work all in itself, and the not finishing things (lookatmelookatme) and I also enjoyed the things you have on your desk. But your tone is the best thing about this post, I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha, thanks!! ^.^ I'm just a little oddball over here. XD I'm happy you still enjoyed the post, because I feel like I didn't have very good answers. :P X)

      Delete
  2. Awk, I hate it when I say to someone "I write books!" and they promptly reply with "Well let me give you 383098 pieces of writing advice that you probably don't know!" Ughhh. -_- It makes me so frustrated! Why do people think that we want advice?! If you can use the internet you have UNLIMITED writing advice from pure professionals at your fingertips, right?! heh. rant over, sorry. xD
    Yaaay, glad you liked the questions and I SO hope you finish a first draft someday. It's a completely MAGICAL feeling, I promise you. xD
    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're just trying to be helpful, I suppose, but .... no. Don't do that. X)

      I always like the questions!! :D not that I've done very many Beautiful People linkups before, but for all the times I have, I've liked the questions. ;D

      UGH I WANT TO SO SO MUCH though apparently not enough to actually put my nose to the grindstone and work. :/ lol maybe one day. XD

      Delete
  3. I think that even though you may not have ever finished a novel before, you're still a legitimate writer. Just keep going, and eventually you'll finish one. It took me two years and a couple of failed drafts before I was finally able to push through and finish a novel, and when I did, the feeling was great. Also, plotting is wonderful. I could do it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks!! :D I really hope I can finish one day. X) And AUGH yes! I just love the feeling when you suddenly think of something that gives a whole new meaning or depth to your character's actions. X)

      Delete
  4. I love your three stooges. I'd bet (if they ever met) they'd be good friends with my pet triceratops : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they would! They would all frolic and cause general chaos together. XD

      Delete
  5. Favorite part: Imagining story. Least favorite part: writing story. I LOVE that! I can totally relate.

    And ugh. That "you're so cute with your little widdle stories" voice. That is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHAHA thank you for summarizing my rambling. I do have trouble being concise. XD hahaha!

      I KNOWWW UGGHHH. And yet, try as I might, I'll probably end up being just the same with my future kids. XD

      Delete
  6. Your answer to number 7 made me laugh! :D Nice answers; you have a fun sense of humor! :D

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *scrolls back up to see what I wrote* ah yes, that one. Well, I thought that summed my feelings on the subject up nicely. X) hehehe thanks!! I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for dropping by! :D

      Delete
  7. #3 is deliciously accurate. I love it when you jot something down for your plot, and before you know it there are several more ideas swirling in your head, trying to make it onto the paper.
    #4 - Oh my goodness, for sure. We sprawling wrecks definitely need people whose boats are floating down the river by our side. :)
    #6 - Jeff, Steve, and Fred are PERFECT, as is the entire paragraph about them. I am jealous.
    #10 - That is exactly how I felt when I got to that question.
    Your post is fabulous and hilarious and I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EMILY! Thanks for popping by!! :D I'm so happy you liked all my random ramblings and rants. ^.^ Now, take an oar, let's catch up to those other boats. ;D

      Delete
  8. Every freaming (I shall forever use this word) time I read your posts, it's like, yes, yes, YES!!!!!!!!!!! Plotting, or the planning or whathaveyou is defiantly the most fun...I've never actually finished a first draft either because...SO MANY IDEAS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FREAMING! It's such a fun word. It was actually a typo in a text message to me, and we thought, Why not make that a real word? And now we have. XD

      You've never finished a draft either?!?! I swear, I love you more every time you comment on one of my posts, because we're just so SIMILAR. XD

      Delete
  9. Haha, loved the little story of your pipe cleaner stooges! I didn't think of plotting, but that really is one of the best parts! And I felt like I was lying just picking on thing as the part I suck at.

    Also, I have to recommend you try and write at night as that's when I get my best writing done!

    As for #14 I felt the same way, I knew there was something I was going to put there and then totally spaced on it and added another random idea I have that I haven't started on. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Sunny has spoken to me about the wonders of nightwriting, but I've yet to try it. On the other hand, that was quite a while ago, before I got my laptop. I may have to try it now that I have one. XD

      And YES to 14! I'm sure there's something, I'm SURE of it!! I just can't think of it for the life of me. o.0

      Delete
  10. Hey, even if you haven't ever finished a draft, you've still worked on one, which means you've written, which means you're a writer! Ta da. ;)

    Aww, the story about your picture book is so cute! I made a few like those when I was five or six, and I thought they were the greatest things ever. I was going to get them published, make millions, and buy a restaurant. (At the time, I thought I would be able to run a restaurant on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, be a veterinarian on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and write on Sundays and anytime it wasn't busy when I was working somewhere else. I was a genius.)

    Ha ha, yes! Sometimes the hardest thing about writing is writing. :P Especially if you're having one of those days when every word is a struggle, and the only key you have the strength to press is backspace.

    Ooh, your writing space is so cozy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, when you put it like that, I suppose so. XD

      That's a GREAT plan! XD Don't kids come up with best, most simple solutions to complicated adult problems, like careers and things? X)

      ughhhhh YES! I just look at that cursor line blinking at me, and think, "I can't do this right now." Then I go play sims or read or something. XD

      hehe thanks!! :D Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  11. I agree with all your struggles! (Especially the writing part. Writing is hard.) And don't worry, I'm very easily distracted too! I have about a dozen drafts that are sitting at anywhere from 5k words to 30k words that I never finished because I just went on to the next project.

    Jeff, Steve, and Fred are so cute! Also, poor Sally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! lol I know, there's just so many ideas!! XD and hahaha yeah, what can I say, she just didn't turn out as well. XD

      Delete