Tuesday, 25 November 2014

What's in a Name?

GUYS quick question: what are your thoughts on video games?

Let me clarify. I am a self-proclaimed gamer. I mean, my dad and brother are the true video game masters of the house, but I enjoy those virtual worlds as much as the next person. So I was thinking it'd be cool to blog about them sometimes.

BUT!

I've read (somewhere. I forget where) that it's good to have a blog name that encompasses what you blog about. "Secret Scribblings" can cover writing, reading, and even drawing, but I don't know that video games or tv shows (I love me a good tv show) can fall under the umbrella of my blog name.

I've also read (again, who knows where) that a blog name change is not to be taken lightly. So I don't wanna just jump from name to name because I feel like it.

Yes yes yes, it's my blog, I can do whatever I want. But let's be professional about this. What do you think: should I change my name to suit my tastes, or post whatever I want on my blog and say "meh" to professionalism?

EDIT: I'VE DECIDED! Thanks to some lovely and helpful friends, I've decided to keep the name as it is, and blog whatever I feel like blogging. "Secret Scribblings" shall not mean secret writerly things, but instead it shall mean all the secret things I feel like scribbling about on here. X) lol that sentence wasn't confusing at all, I'm sure. ;)


What I'm playing now:
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

11 comments:

  1. I don't play video games myself, but I've seen successful reviews of them before. I always like reading about different media, although sometimes I don't have enough experience to comment.

    I've had my own struggles with my blog name because I like having the url a little bit different than the title which I interpret a lot more loosely than what it might seem.

    What I think people don't always realize is that video games (or the good ones...) are stories in themselves. It took writing to make that story happen, it's just a story you happen to have the freedom to interact within.

    So... I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! And you're right; they ARE stories! I forgot about that. XD haha thanks!

      Delete
  2. Personally, I think you could get away with writing about video games on here as well as all the other subjects. When i read your blog name, I always take it as meaning that the blog posts are your secret scribblings about whatever subject it is you're interested in. Video games would fit quite nicely into that in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo, that definition could work. ;) hehe thanks!! That's very helpful! :D

      Delete
  3. Oh yes! I agree with Imogen. Secret Scribblings can encompass many things. Buuuuuutt...if you are going to change it, I'd recommend do it sooner rather than later, but that would be a real hassle considering your URL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunny!! Yeah, I thought about the url business, too. XD lol ok I've decided: I'll keep the name, and blog about whatever I want! XD

      Delete
  4. Good decision. This is your blog and you should feel free to secretly scribble whatever you want : ) Plus, I like your title the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome! I considered changing my blog name at one point because I've started to talk more about music and things other than writing so thats where it got tricky but then I figured why not throw that in since music goes along with my writing...but I personally LOVE your blog name and think that it would work for any 'Secret Scribblings' you might have. So yeah love the blog name and I'm glad you're keeping it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :D Now that you guys have pointed it out, it's easy to see how my blog name can really apply to anything I might want to "scribble" about. ;) Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! Cause you can 'scribble' about whatever you want! It's a perfect name that covers pretty much anything :D

      Delete