Thursday, 13 November 2014

Beautiful Books #2



Head over to The Notebook Sisters to learn more about this awesome linkup, and maybe join in yourself! :D 



Be honest: how is your writing going?
HA! My friends, let me tell you: I quit Nano after three days. Now, you might be facepalming, thinking, "What's wrong with this girl?" 
Well, I don't do well under stress or pressure. The thought of doing at least 1667 words a day was kind of crushing my spirit. 
My dad pointed out to me while I was having a meltdown at 12:30 a.m. that I've always held myself to this unattainable standard of excellence and perfection, and I have to stop that, because just because I can't do something perfectly, doesn't mean I shouldn't do it at all. And also, I'm not obligated to do ANYTHING. Nano stressing you out? Then STAHP IT. Writing getting you down, not fun anymore? You can stop that too. 
I won't stop writing, of course, but I did stop Nanoing. But I'm still doing Go Teen Writers' 100 for 100 challenge. That's going well. XD

What’s your first sentence/paragraph? 
Sweat poured down Rolf’s face and back as his feet dug into the grass. His muscles strained and shook against the mighty pressure applied to them. Then the pressure was gone, and Rolf lurched forward, caught off balance. Something thick and heavy smacked against the back of his skull, and Rolf fell to the ground, bright pinpoints of light stabbing through his vision.

“You’re dead. Again.”

Do you have a book cover, and/or pictures that reflect your book? 
Just the picture of the city, which I've used a few times on the blog, and which I was using for a Nano cover: 


Although, this one might work too:

pulled from Ink Made Maiden's blog


Do you have pictures of each of your characters? If not, describe them for us! (Be as descriptive as you can.) 
PICTURES!! Hehehe, oh, I have pictures. In fact, I shall give you pictures of AAALLLL MY CHARACTERS!!!!!! XD What? TMI? shush.
With the exception of Rolf and Amadan, the rest of the pictures are possibly subject to change:
Rolf, my male MC
Kat, my female MC (tho her eyes are a little dark)
Amadan, my first villain
Boros, the SpyMaster, and Rolf's father.
Yes, this is just a dress. I realize that. But just picture a haughty older woman with her hair piled up in an impossible style, and you've got Kat's mom, Lillian.
Kat's mentor/friend. Take away the weird bat creature and the redonkulous beard, and holy crap man, that's Eli! Right down to his glasses! 
King Thalion
Rowan, a prince.
Allistar, a Class-A jerk
Havenlord, my second villain
Aria, my third villain
Wolfe, freedom fighter
Caden, Captain of the guard
There's also Zane, though I don't have a picture of him. It's hard to find a picture of a creature you've completely reinvented. He can sort of shape-shift though, so I'll give you a pic of that:

Zane in his elf form. A little flashier than what I picture, though. Take away all the green stuff, and you've got it.
In his normal form, Zane is a slender ogre. Yes, ogre. If you were here last time I talked about my book, you'll remember I was talking about dispelling stereotypes. Zane's skin is a deep blue color, his eyes are grey, his hair is fashionably short and pitch black, he wears a white shirt under a black jacket, brown pants, and black boots. He uses magic to change his appearance and cheat at cards.

What scene are you most excited to write?  
Ohmygoodness. Ok. It's probably this one scene that would be nearer to the end of my book where we see this complete turnaround for one character. OR, since we don't know if I'll even make it that far, then maybe it's one that's coming up soon, where I introduce an awesome character.

Share a snippet or a scene that you really enjoyed writing.
“We should take him to the guards.” Kat advised.

“No! They’ll kill me.” To Kat’s continuing shock and dismay, both men said this at the same time.

“What, both of you?”

“Me, probably. Him, eventually. I’m Rolf, by the way.”

Kat acknowledged the return to propriety with a nod of her head, “Kat. That’s Zane, or so he says. And I understand why they’d kill him,” At this, Zane mumbled something indignant into the ground, “But why would they kill you?” she shifted her weight to her back foot, prepared to make a run for it, “Are you a criminal?”

Rolf sighed, and his face took on a pinched look, angry and sad at once. “No. But that won’t stop them.” He paused and took a deep breath, like his next words were physically heavy, “I’ve got to leave the city.” With a surprising show of strength, Rolf hauled Zane to his feet, “And I’m taking this one with me.”////


“It’s in the basement. Hang on,” Zane darted around a corner and was back before they could even protest. He shrugged a white lab coat up onto his shoulders. A pass dangled from the front pocket. “Well come on.” He headed in the front door.

“Do you get the feeling he’s running this show?” Kat asked Rolf.

“Uncomfortably so.”////


Now that you're writing, have any of the plot details, or the process itself, turned out different from what you planned or imagined?
*dies from laughter* only always. My characters, just...yep. Off they go, on their own.

Is there a character or aspect of your plot that's difficult to write?
For some reason, I find female characters harder to write than male characters. I don't know why. Also fight scenes, or anything with tension in it. X)

What’s your favorite aspect of this novel so far? Favorite character?
Zane has always been my favorite character, though he's freaking me out a little right now. I'll have to change it later, it's a little . . . much. 

Have you drawn off of any life experiences or people you know to create your novel and your characters?
HA! *cough* um, nope. Not that I know of. XD

Do you have a playlist or certain song for your novel and/or characters?
Well, not really, tho I have a few songs that make me think of certain things. Like, this music is for bad guys and danger: 


This music is for less savory characters and/or sneaky moments (perhaps even goofy moments):


Yes, they're both from the same game. 

Aaaaand...........yep! That's all I have for now. I don't really listen to music as I write; I'm too easily distracted. :P

Let’s have some fun for a moment: imagine you are somehow transported into your book’s world. Which character are you most likely to be found hanging out with?
Probably Wolfe. I don't know her yet (she was originally going to be a he, but then I saw that picture and I thought, "nope, that's Wolfe."), but she's awesome. 

How do you keep yourself motivated to finish your daily wordcount? (Pinterest? Internet breaks? Chocolate?)
I can't motivate myself. If I want something, I go get it, despite my own inner protests. XD But since I'm just doing the 100/100, I don't need a whole lot of motivation, it doesn't take that long. :)

What your favourite writing quote or piece of writing advice?
My dad telling me to just have fun, I don't have to do anything I don't wanna do. XD

How does this book make you feel so far? Are you laughing? Crying? Frustrated?
I'm always really excited for my stories at first, then it gradually tapers off into "meh." and I move on. X)


Well, that's my Beautiful Books contribution. X)

In other, totally unrelated news, Gene Kelly (brown shirt) is so light on his feet, I might cry:


22 comments:

  1. I liked your dialog! I just found your blog through the linkup and am excited to find another homeschool graduate writer. Good luck with your book! Your characters are beautiful. I can't wait to hear more : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much!!! :D
      Woohoooo, homeschooling!! XD

      Delete
  2. I'm basically the opposite of you, I do very well under the pressure of NaNoWriMo! I really enjoyed your dialog, and this sounds like a fun book. Also, awesome pictures for your characters! =)

    Good luck with your writing, the middle can be the hardest part, it's always more fun to write the beginning and the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe lucky you! thank you!!! yeah, middles are where all the work takes place. X)

      Delete
  3. This story sounds awesome!!XD And your characters! And the snippets were hilariousXD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you allowed yourself to stop doing NaNo. Personally I love it. I love the challenge and the pressure, but I know that other people don't work like that. It's better to know how you work and to be comfortable with that rather than to push yourself to finish something you don't enjoy. Loved your snippets! Your characters look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'll probably still try it again next year, tho. XD hehehe. thank you!! :D

      Delete
  5. I've had the quitting-on-day-three problem too. And I've never regretted it. I think I sometimes torture myself as well, but it's a lot better if I find myself a more reasonable goal. Ah well. I love the Singing in the Rain stuff, and your dad's advice! Also, I agree, female characters are hard to write. Maybe because they don't spend as much time in the limelight. I don't know. Anyway, it sounds like a great story, and good luck in the 100/100!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone else feels the same way! ^.^ about quitting Nano, AND Singing in the Rain. XD lol thanks so much, and thanks for the follow!! :D

      Delete
  6. This sounds great! I like the samples of your scenes. Your characters seem intense and your city looks epic in those photos.

    Also I love that your inner gamer came out with your music choices :)

    And great choice for your girl MC's name ;)

    Kat @ Readiculous Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squee* thanks so much! And hehe GAMES. ^.^

      Why, thank you, KAT, I'm so glad you approve!! XD

      Delete
  7. Your dad gives awesome advice and Zane sounds soooo super cool! Crushing stereotypes? I LIKE THAT. I definitely think having fun with your writing is a hugely good thing. But also congrats for sticking to the 100x100! I did it the first time it was on, and it was a real challenge for me to write consistently. o.O I'm more like a BOOM write a lot and then stop for like...2 months. >_< Consistency would be a better idea, right?!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's pretty great. I mean my dad. But Zane too. XD hehe thanks!!! And hey, anything that gets your story done! X) Everyone is different. ;)

      Delete
  8. I love your dialogue! I also find it hard to write female characters. Except when I'm really lucky, they end up boring me to death. But I'm working on it and have a couple female POV characters in my current novel. (crosses fingers) Hopefully, all goes well.

    I can totally relate to the last answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Good luck with your female characters, they are such a challenge. o.0 hehe thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  9. Your book sounds so awesome!! I love all the pictures of your characters and all that goodness :D I also love all your characters names. So much coolness :D (and I saw Final Fantasy pictures in there... *eep*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe! Thanks!!! I have a lot of fun with character names. X) and Final Fantasy ftw! XD Thanks for dropping by! AND FOR FOLLOWING! :O :D

      Delete