Saturday, 25 October 2014

I Really Don't Want to Say That

Do you ever just reach a place in your book where something MUST happen, but you just really...really...don't want it to? I'm not even talking about the death of a character or something super-dramatic like that; I'm talking about one small bit of description, action, or dialogue that you just feel weird writing.

For example:
My one character is in such a place that there is really only three things she can do: she can run away, punch a guy in the throat, or bring her knee up between his legs. She's not really the "flee-from-danger" type girl (unless it's her mother, but we won't talk about that), so that leaves the last two. I'd rather she hit him in the throat, but I looked it up, and there's actually quite a good chance he could die from that. And he can't die (at least, not yet). So that leave the last one.

So, fine, what's the big deal? I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS, AND THAT'S A BIG DEAL. I feel irrationally squeamish about writing that, like anyone who reads that will judge me and laugh at me and be like, "why on earth would you write something so stupid?"

And I KNOW that you're supposed to "write bravely" and "write for yourself" and yada yada yada, I guess I'm just not good at that yet. -.-

So basically, the entire point of this post was to ask whether anyone else has things they feel weird writing about, or if its just me, and I should suck it up and go back and finish that scene. I mean, I suppose I have to suck it up and go back anyway, but...PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT ALONE!! *wails*





Thanks, cafe press. Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. No, you're not alone. I frequently have scenes where something needs to happen that I'm not quite comfortable writing. So, here's what I suggest. Go ahead and write the third option - as it's probably the most plausible and effective - but do so vaguely, writing only as much as you feel comfortable doing. Later, when you rewrite it, you'll have more courage, and you can do it better. Right now, your job is to get the scenes on paper, you can perfect it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kendra! :D That's good advice. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha!! I totally understand what you mean... I feel weird writing about romance. Like, someone is going to be reading what I think it's like to 'fall in love'!! I think Kendra is right. Do what feels comfortable to you & stick with it for now... And if you still feel really uncomfortable writing and reading it, keep looking for another option!
    For instance, say she DID punch him instead. Maybe he realizes what's going to happen and catches her hand as she swings, then low-and-behold he falls out of balance...
    Just little ideas like that. Explore every possible scenario, even if it seems ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I like that idea! X) Thanks! I'll keep all this in mind for revisions later. ;)

      Delete
  3. I was going to give you advice (you know, like I do, lol), but it looks like the other commenters have it covered! Good luck with the scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thanks Sunny! ^.^ you know I always love your advice. :) and I sorta glossed over the action as much as I could. I'll come back to it much, much later....if ever. XD

      Delete
  4. Bwahahaha! Oh my. So, write it in and when you come around to the next draft you'll have a moment of clarity and know what to replace it with. ;) Truthfully, sometimes we just have to put in place holders to get to the next spot.

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I guess you're right. X) thanks!

      Delete