Saturday, 20 September 2014

Go Teen Writers 100 for 100 Challenge

If you're a fan of writing, then you may have heard of the Go Teen Writers blog. If you're a fan of writing and you haven't heard of them, then you want to go check it out now. Go on. I'll wait. And if you're not a fan of writing . . . then what are you doing here, really?

Anyway, the fantabulous people over at Go Teen Writers came up with a contest a few years ago, called the 100 for 100 Challenge. Basically, you commit to writing (at least) 100 words for 100 days. Sound tough? Well, kind of. I did it the first time they had the contest, tried and failed the second one, missed the third one, and am now attempting the fourth one.

Its a great way to get yourself in the habit of writing a little bit every day, and, BONUS PRIZE, you'll have 10,000 more words in your story by the time you're done! Sound less tough and more AWESOME now? Well, you'll have to wait to enter until the next time they hold the contest, because admissions (submissions? I'm not sure of the word to use right now. How un-authorly of me) are closed at this point. Sorry. BUT!! That doesn't mean you can't try it out yourself right now, anyway! Do it, do it, do it, it's great.

I'm doing good so far, but it's only the end of day 6. Sooooo . . . not really indicative of how well I'll do overall. Still. I feel good.

Since the story I'm working on now is a slight remake of my LAST story, I've already got most of a plot nailed down, but I'm still pantsing a bit more than I usually do, I think.
Oh, I should mention . . . I've never actually finished a first draft of ANY story I've ever started. Except that one I wrote when I was 4. And that other one I wrote when I was like 7. But those were both half-baked, underwhelming and idiotic. Also hilarious to reread. MY POINT BEING: don't take any writerly advice from me unless I link to someone else's blog/website to corroborate it. Yes.

So, to recap:
1) The 100 for 100 Challenge over at Go Teen Writers is epic and you should do it, and
2) I have no follow-through, don't use me as a role model.

Thank you, that is all. Until next time, my loverly (imaginary) readers! Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, I love reading old stories I wrote. Also, I'm a real reader (not imaginary!)

    ReplyDelete